Eggnog Pancakes


Christmas has passed and we are dipping our toes into the new year. Gradually, we're clearing out the party snacks ~ the leftover dips and crackers, the chips, the cheeses, the frou-frou cookies. So what's left? A few withered ham roll-ups and a quart of eggnog.

Well, the ham roll-ups were delicious in their prime (Thank you, Ande), but alas, it's time for them to shuffle off this mortal coil. (Yes, yes, okay! Forgive me ~ I just can't resist a Hamlet pun.) The eggnog, on the other hand, is perfectly fine. There it is, on the top shelf of my fridge, an unopened quart carton, sitting conspicuously beside the skim milk and nonfat plain yogurt and other healthy-eating provisions waiting for Monday. (In our household, we get back to healthy eating when the school schedule resumes. Till then, it's staycation food for us.

So, let's see. What to do with a lonely leftover quart of eggnog? May I suggest extending the holiday cheer a bit with a nice stack of Eggnog Pancakes?


Eggnog Pancakes


  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

  • 1 tablespoon sugar

  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • Pinch nutmeg

  • 1 1/2 cups eggnog (can use light)

  • 2 tablespoons oil

  • 1 large egg, beaten


  1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to blend ingredients.

  2. Preheat griddle to medium-high (I set my electric skillet to 300 degrees F).

  3. In a separate bowl, stir together eggnog, oil, and egg. Pour into dry ingredients and whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened. Batter will be fairly thick.

  4. Drop batter by quarter-cupfuls onto oiled skillet. Cook pancakes until bottoms are golden brown and bubbles appear on the surface. (Because the batter is so thick, check the bottoms before bubbles break at the surface so they don't burn.) Turn and cook other side. Keep warm in oven until all the batter is cooked.

  5. Serve pancakes warm with butter and syrup or honey. Enjoy!

Serves 4 to 6.


Printable view


Comments

  1. Well, I'm going downstairs to make these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so light and fluffy! I may adopt the waiting until the kids go off to school to start eating normally again, and I don't even have kids! Fabulous idea!

    Emily
    www.justeatfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look sooooo fluffy! And I bet they were delicious, I love eggnog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even buy eggnog this year... but, now I wish I had so I could make these! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandy! These look really fluffly, I bet Mr. would like these but I'm not a big eggnog fan, the kids might like them too. We still have a half gallon + left over from family visiting so I'll have to whip some of these up, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggnog pancakes sound like a delicious way to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this sounds absolutely delicious! There's a little bit of eggnog left in my fridge and I've been waiting to find a good recipe to use the rest of it up. These sound wonderful-and they look so fluffy-yum! Definitely making these for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were delicious! So light and fluffy. My toddler ate nearly half the batch himself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everyone! If you make them, let me know how they turn out for you. Hope you like them!

    I have a stack in my fridge right now, and even after a day or two, they're still nice and puffy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. eggnog in pancakes sounds like a wonderful idea! they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do believe it would be worth getting a brand new carton of eggnog to make these.

    Wow! sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~Gaga: Thank you!

    ~Jacque: Happily, it seems like a lot of grocery stores are putting eggnog on sale now, to get rid of their overstock. I may end up picking up another quart or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby would LOVE these! I'm sure I would too. I don't like eggnog, but added to pancakes, well, who could argue? They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I spent the holidays w/ my nephew, who is a chef in a high end restaurant. He made us Eggnog Pancakes that looked quite like these! Good way to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ~Jennifer: Thanks so much! If you make them, let me know what you think. :)

    ~RecipeGirl: Wow, I'll take that as a good sign! Last year I used my leftover eggnog to make pound cake. This year, we were totally caked and cookied out, so I had to come up with something else. Pancakes fit the bill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. my, these are lovely... happy new year!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG yum! I hated breakfast growing up because everyone made really bad stuff. But now? I could eat breakfast twice a day. Hopefully we still have egg nog available at my store.
    And I actually threw away every Buttery Jam Cookie. Evidently I am not the only one who didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pancakes look so light and fluffy!
    Here all packaging is in English and French. The French packaging for egg nog is lait de poulet - chicken milk! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my. Pancakes are always way too much sugar for me to handle as a meal but the idea of using eggnog is DELICIOUS sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to make these. I can not find eggnog anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love eggnog flavored baked goods. These look so light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those looks fluffy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Christmas day breakfast has never been better. Wonferful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks! I was looking for a way to use up eggnog and day old french bread so I was making eggnog french toast. While searching for the french toast recipe I found your pancake recipe, so I made both! These pancakes are really good! I'll definitely be making them again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. so delicious, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made these for breakfast this morning - they were great :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. so yummy. I don't even like eggnog (made these for someone who does), but, they were delish :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Care to share?

Popular Posts